Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ask Not!

WAIT WAIT WAIT i have to tell you all about my Key Spouse Training on Thursday night. Ok, imagine a bunch of ladies (30) who are all in one room together with name tags and crackers and cheese. Who 98% of can think of nothing better to do with their lives then be in charge of the communication out to the spouses and welcoming newcomers on base and helping during deployments. Ok-sounds pretty good so far right? Now imagine that these women have moved every three years of their lives and are getting a little on the quirky side. A LOT on the quirky side. Now imagine that like in most meeting that are held by women-and men Eric tells me. They follow this rule, "Ask not what you think pertainith to the topic, but how the topic pertainith to you." So someone opens up the can of question worms.
Things like:

1. So, what hours is the Marriage and Family Counseling Center open on weekends?
2. Can I get your personal cell phone number?
2.5 Well can i have your home phone number?
3. At my last base (don't ever start a sentence this way if you are in the military!) we had little welcoming packets for each of the new spouses. Can we get something like that here, like with coupons, and a letter, and a map of the bus route and a Popsicle? This lady went on for so long I had to time her. 15 minutes of trying to tell the Airman and Family Readiness Center exactly what it was like at her last base and getting them to see that they needed to provide something like that for this base. I couldn't take it anymore! I had to interrupt.
I said, "All right Girl you go for that, you GET on that. I nominate YOU for that position." Kim-my friend at the AFRAC just grinned at me. She knows I hate things like this, so she seconded the nomination. And there was a THIRD from the audience.
Later on while Eric and I were gardening, she introduced her self as our...NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR. Whoops.
The best part of the night is that I was sitting next to wonderful Katie from........CEDAR FALLS IOWA, she went to UNI and was an Art major and i adore her. We had so much fun whispering back and forth the whole time and groaning when they kept making the questions go on and on. Her Husband is a Lt. just like Eric and they are going to be volunteering at the coffee shop Eric and I are volunteering at. They are Christians and actively go to church. She even knows my ex-boyfriend from Cedar Falls and my good friend Nicki Corbin. Crazy world. So now that I have two Katie's in my life there will be baby Katie and non-baby Katie.

No comments:

Isaiah 43:1

But now, this is what the LORD says— He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."