Friday, April 1, 2011

Mama had a Baby

Eric and I are thrilled to be parents to a really precious baby girl.  Here's how the story goes...

On Wednesday Nov. 18th Eric and I are at Bible Study and I feel a little wetness in the wetter.  Since Eric has lovingly dubbed me The Boy who Cried Wolf.  I decided not to share about our little moist friend until I knew for sure that this was a sign that baby was on the way.  I went to bed that night with my little secret and woke up the next morning to go to the bathroom while Eric was getting ready for work.

As I ended my bathroom moment-my bathroom moment didn't end me.  It kept on sharing.  So I announced to Eric that my water was breaking and that since I wasn't feeling any contractions that he should mosey on to work while I called the hospital and got ready for the day.  Being myself I had a list of how my day to deliver should go and I wasn't about to let anyone mess with that.
I went out to the kitchen and told my mom the good news and started down the list.  Packing and putting things in the car, getting snacks ready, calling the hospital who encouraged me to come in and I told them I'd be there when I felt like it, blow drying my hair and getting into the clothes I wanted to deliver in.  I had my last meal (planned for months) grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Around 9:00 I started to feel some contractions and they intensified with every one so that I called Eric at 10:30 and told him to come home.  He got home at 11:30 and at this point I couldn't talk when I had a contraction but was still very comfortable.


 We loaded up the car and headed to the hospital arriving at 12:30.
They told me they would check to see if my water had actually broken before they checked me in and at this point my labor was still bearable but painful.  I didn't want to lie down at all and that hospital bed felt like a plywood pillow so I rocked in the rocking chair as they still got worse.  The nurse announced that my water didn't break (which I internally roll my eyes at) and I moved to the bathroom-the only comfortable place I could think of while tears started coming out of my eyes through the pain.  I told Eric that I didn't think I could do it anymore (thinking I still had hours of this left).  Eric assured me that I could take it and at that moment the nurse ordered me sternly into bed and off the toilet.  The contractions were bed bar gripping horrible at this point with no rest in between.

The midwife FINALLY came in and checked me and looked me in the eye and said, "Do you still want to have this baby naturally?".  I do not remember saying this but Mom said I replied, "I don't know".  She looked at me and said, "It's time to push now and I know you can do this".
Well great people!  So at 1:30 I started pushing and the contractions didn't hurt at all, the pushing didn't hurt at all.  It was just lots of work and I kept thinking to myself.  "I am actually going to push a baby out of my girl parts!"  At 2:04 Eric announced that we were parents to a baby GIRL and we were thrilled.  She was a beauty from the start and a little bit of red hair fuzz confirmed all no brainer guesses as to her hair color.
We named her Evangeline Kaia which means Bringer of Good News and Pure.  Kaia is Norwegian after Eric's heritage.  We love her a lot.      

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Great birth story! I remember for both Jonathan and Rebekah, I would get to the point of thinking I couldn't do it anymore, and then suddenly everything would go fast from there. Abby's birth was just, well..easy - she was the 4th, and 3 lbs lighter than the third.

Sharon Lobb said...

Way to go!! I love how you write the details...not too much about yourself in my book! What a precious baby and I love her name. I had my first "natural" but it took around 20 hours...needless to say...the next three I had some help.

Isaiah 43:1

But now, this is what the LORD says— He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."