Sunday, April 3, 2011

Homemade April-Taco Seasoning

This one I always knew was possible but just have never take the time to go about doing it.

Here's the mixture I settled on:

3 T Paprika
3 T Chili Powder
3 T Corn Syrup
1 T Black Pepper
1 T Cumin
1 T Garlic Powder
1 T Dried Oregano
1.5 t onion powder
1.5 t cayenne
1.5 pepperocino (which I don't have and have never even heard of so I skipped it)
1.5 salt

2 Tablespoons of this concoction is equivalent to 1 Packet of Taco Seasoning.
You are essentially making 6 packets of Seasoning.

As long as this is stored in an airtight container it will last as long as you want it too.  I'm going to throw it in a little ziplock baggie.

I'll do up some tacos this week and then let you know how it goes.

Cost Comparison: As long as I don't have to drive to the store because I forgot it...I don't care.  Since it makes 6 packets worth and most likely you'll have the stuff at home already I think the cost is in your favor.
Hippie Score: 2 out of 10
Will I do it: Yep

Update: I don't love it.  We made tacos tonight.  I think they are too spicy or something for me but I'm not done with the testing so I'll try a different recipe soon.

2 comments:

The Millers said...

I think I'll try it but do I use corn syrup or corn starch?

Mrs. O said...

Startch. We used it for tacos tonight and It's a little zippy. I have a friend who is going to send me her recipe. I like the concept because of the less sodium factor but I'm going to say this isn't my favorite recipe.

Isaiah 43:1

But now, this is what the LORD says— He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."