Today I found only three recipes that I felt like trying, and decided to do another side by side because I would really like to make this from scratch like it's my job.
Each recipe had these basic ingredients: sugar, water, maple flavoring and some added ingredients to include: brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and butter. When I took this picture I had to make sure all the syrups were facing me and not looking around at other things. LOSER.
Let's see how they did:
1. Well, Butter my Biscuit:
In a saucepan bring the following things to a boil:
1 C brown sugar
1 C water
1/2 C lt. corn syrup
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 T vanilla and 1/2 T maple flavoring
If you like the taste of butter. AND I DO. Stir in 2 T butter. Actual live butter. It'll float to the top after it sits for a while but unlike chicken fat, you can eat it.
2. Plain Jane:
Add 1-2 t maple.
Verdict: Sorry to the person who gave me this recipe but the sugar ended up in a big lump and was really grainy. We gave it a fair try and stirred it up, warmed it up and tried it with a bite of waffles this morning but it ended up in the drain. I'm sorry but you are no longer in the running to be America's Next Top Syrup.
3. Trying to Make Things Difficult:
Put the following in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil on medium for 7 minutes. I stirred it a lot. Burnt sugar reminds me of Chemistry class with Mrs. Wilson.
3/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C lt. corn syrup
Stir 1/2 t maple flavoring and 1/2 t vanilla off the heat.
Cool for 15 minutes.
Verdict: This one had the best consistency and I think it was because you do that 7 minutes of boiling. Very good flavor, a little thin on the flavors. Congratulations, you are still in the running to be America's next Top Syrup.
Winner: The Combo
I'd take the first recipe and boil it for 7 minutes
Use only 1/2 C water to make it thicker-cause I like my syrup thick.
If I made the last one again-I'd up the flavorings to 1/2 T each instead of the t.
NOW HERE THIS: all the syrups thickened up as they set (I'd say a good 15-30 minutes) so if you are thinking of trying this the morning you eat breakfast, make this first to let it set.Cost-zero because I had everything
Hippie Score-7.5
Here's where I get all genius on you. I have 3 containers of hot fudge and now 2 containers of syrup in my fridge and am wondering how I am going to handle the crowd control once I get into salad dressings etc. I'm about to amaze you. Old creamer container!!!!!!!! We rarely get creamers but I saved it for Eva to play with and she's going to have to play with rinsed out sour cream containers or something. It's superb because it pours.
That's all. I'm going out on the porch now to do my BSF while my husband does his reading for class.
3 comments:
Nice. I do the plain jane method, but 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar... brought to a boil for a minute or two while stirring with a whisk and then add the 1 tsp maple flavoring. Sometimes I add cinnamon to it too while its still boiling when I get a little crazy. Though lately I have to admit my expensive habit of just buying plain maple syrup so I don't have to fuss. (p.s. I dig this homemade stuff)
HI KIMBRA!!! My mom was just telling me about cinnamon in it-I say yum for certain things but not on my pancakes. Thanks for reading. Miss you.
I love the names you gave them! I also love the idea of the creamer containers: perfect for so many things. Crowd control...HAHAHA!
Post a Comment