I think I'm going to need some pint jars!
Today I'll be trying out 4 versions of Hot Fudge.
1. Melt some chocolate.
2. Marshmallow Melt.
3. Cocoa Melt.
4. Complicated Melt.
These versions are from the reliable source of google.
1. Melt some chocolate.
- 1 stick Butter (do Not Use Margarine that stuff is so ick)
- 6 ounces, weight Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 12 oz can Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
Melt the butter and chocolate until blended. Stir in the sugar slowly until completely mixed.
Add milk s-l-o-w-l-y, stirring constantly. Add in vanilla; make sure all is blended.
Allow to cool slightly.
Yield: 2 pint jars.
Totally delicious. Will last you forever. Great to give as a gift. Same consistency and color as jared HF.
Yield: 2 pint jars.
Totally delicious. Will last you forever. Great to give as a gift. Same consistency and color as jared HF.
2. Marshmallow Melt.
- ¼ cups Butter (with Salt)
- 1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 6 ounces, weight Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate
- ½ cups Miniature Marshmallows. I pronounce marshmallow marshmEllow thus rendering me useless in my spelling attempts.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
In a small pot, add butter, condensed milk, chocolate and marshmallows. Stir over low heat until everything is melted and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Yield: 1.5 pint jarsish.
Yummy. If you like sweeter chocolate and an good interesting thickness due to the marshmallows. This is your friend.
Yield: 1.5 pint jarsish.
Yummy. If you like sweeter chocolate and an good interesting thickness due to the marshmallows. This is your friend.
3. Cocoa Melt.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¾ cups Powdered Sugar
Yield: Doesn't matter, don't make it.
I'm going to say it's a no for this one. Not rich enough, not thick enough, not tasty enough.
2. Meanwhile, simmer corn syrup, sugar, cream, water, and salt in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 4 minutes.
3. Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla. Cool mixture slightly, about 2 minutes, before whisking in melted chocolate until smooth. Serve warm.
Yield: about 2 pints
The richest chocolate taste of them all but thinner than the first two.
Hippie Rating-2 out of 10.
Will I make it again? Yes
So...The Winner is.
For me it's the Marshmallow Melt. I love how thick it is.
We took it to a friends house where 15 people voted and all but one liked Complicated Melt the best.
Most intense chocolate taste is the Complicated Melt. Both melted chocolate and cocoa!
Number One is basically the exact taste of jarred hot fudge so I'm going to say when you want to make something different choose 2 or 4.
4. Complicated Melt
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup water
- Pinch table salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. Meanwhile, simmer corn syrup, sugar, cream, water, and salt in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 4 minutes.
3. Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla. Cool mixture slightly, about 2 minutes, before whisking in melted chocolate until smooth. Serve warm.
Yield: about 2 pints
The richest chocolate taste of them all but thinner than the first two.
Conclusion:
Cost Comparison-don't care because it's funHippie Rating-2 out of 10.
Will I make it again? Yes
So...The Winner is.
For me it's the Marshmallow Melt. I love how thick it is.
We took it to a friends house where 15 people voted and all but one liked Complicated Melt the best.
Most intense chocolate taste is the Complicated Melt. Both melted chocolate and cocoa!
Number One is basically the exact taste of jarred hot fudge so I'm going to say when you want to make something different choose 2 or 4.
2 comments:
Wow! Great thoughts and details! I love the comparison. Thanks for doing HOT FUDGE first. It's my favorite topping. Ever.
I am cracking up at your comment about margarine. It IS so ick!!!!!!!!
So, can you jar and gift the first one?
Post a Comment