Friday, April 8, 2011

Homemade April-Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar is weird.  But when you run out of it in the middle of making Chocolate Chip cookies your life is pretty much over.  So, if you want to save yourself a grocery store run you'd better have one very important ingredient in your pantry...Molasses.

Here we go.


For One cup of Light Brown Sugar, Combine 1 Cup normal sugar and 1.5 T of Molasses in a microwave safe bowl.

I can't really say you "combine" it.  The molasses just sits on top and refuses to cooperate.

Then things get interesting.  Soak 2 paper towels and put them over your mixing bowl.  Then cover all that with some plastic wrap.

Microwave your brown sugar incubator for 10 second intervals stirring after each time until the sugar is soft enough to look like brown sugar.  Mine took 5, 10 second intervals much to the wonderment of my husband.

Stir and break up any larger pieces of molasses.  Stir stir stir.

Then you can either use it right away or put a piece of bread or fruit into the bowl, leave the damp paper towels over it and seal it.


Dark Brown Sugar is the same story just with 1/4 C Molasses.

Blog is being totally stupid right now so I'm not editing these photos or trying to line them up again because I did that four times already, and Eva is waking up and I get to go to Starbucks today. See ya.

3 comments:

ThatCrazyFamily said...

wow... this is great. Thanks girl! You're amazing!!!

Aunt Jan said...

How do you compare the taste of C&H and homemade?

Laura said...

I think it's really good. I used it on a complex recipe and there was no difference in taste.

Isaiah 43:1

But now, this is what the LORD says— He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."