Thursday, April 14, 2011

Homemade April-Baby Wipes

I finally got around to making these and here were my reasons for taking so long.

1.  A couple of my friends said theirs grew mold.  I don't put mold on my baby.
2.  I needed a way that I could still get wipes out with one hand.  Not have to unscrew a lid or use two hands to tear the wipes apart.
3.  I didn't get to Target to get the container until now.

So, you already have everything you need at home.  Unless you don't have Baby Oil.  I had to go get some and I don't really know why people put baby oil on their babies, or when to put it on, or where to put it.

You'll need: Paper towel roll (Giant or normal), baby shampoo, baby oil, water, and a good container.

The container matters.  I got one from target that is Air Tight, (important) and that I can open with one hand, (important to me), and that is big enough for half a paper towel roll, (necessary kind of important).

1.  Get out a big measuring cup and pour 2.5 Cups of water in it if using a giant sized paper towel roll-otherwise 2 C is fine. Put it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes so that it boils.
2.  Take your bread knife, electric would be handy, and saw your paper towel roll in half.  Doesn't matter if the tear isn't perfect.  Throw the paper towel roll into your sweet AIR TIGHT container.
3.  With a measuring spoon measure out 2 T baby oil (if your babe is allergic to stuff you can use vegetable oil or coconut oil) and drizzle on the top of the roll, and do the same with 2 T baby shampoo.
4.  Then pour all that boiling water over your paper towel-yes it seems like a lot.  Cover and flip upside down if you want to-I didn't want to.
5.  Do something else for 5 minutes.  I ate some Red Velvet cake because miraculously we still have some left and I can't exercise right now anyway.  I am sick, my nose and throat are sick, Vitamin C overdose made my stomach sick and now my nose is bleeding from all the blowing.
6.  Take out the little cardboard guy from the center of the paper towels.  Use from the inside and they even tear if you use the edge of the container and apply OOMPH.
7.  Voila!

Read me: Some people who live in humid climates put 4 drops tea tree oil to help with mold.  Also, unscented baby shampoo/bath doesn't have perfume which helps cut down on mold so you could use scented baby bath as well.

Cost: 1.15 per container. Saves me 12.00 a month I think and that's for the cheapest baby wipes out there.
Will I do: Yep, I like.
Hippie Score: 7

6 comments:

Ebony S said...

Using purified/bottled water also helps prolong mold's appearing... love reading your "homemade April" posts :D
Ebony

Mrs. O said...

Good to know! It's a good thing I'm no expert on this stuff-my good friends can come along and help out!

page said...

Excited to see this worked so well. What's the container called?

Mrs. O said...

Hey Page. The container is Michael Graves for Target.

Stacia said...

just a heads up... I got that same container and now the plastic on the inside of the lid has cracked, so it takes two hands to pull the lid off the container. Hope yours endures!

Mrs. O said...

Stacia...totally weird that you read this. I don't know why, but it is. I DO hope my container makes it.

Isaiah 43:1

But now, this is what the LORD says— He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."